Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Portrait of the Scholar as a Young Man

It's raining here in Brussels. Our coffee plans were only partially foiled, since outdoor tables were a little too wet for comfortable seating. Nevertheless, we made it to class and had a nice breakfast beforehand. We just heard from the European Commission's Directorate-General chairman for aviation policy. His talk was pretty much the most interesting one, in my opinion, although it's hard to pick favorites. I'm probably going to write one of my research papers on aviation policy. It's amazing how the Open Skies agreements have blown up in the past 15 years... and even in the last 3 months, step 1 of a 2-part EU-US aviation integration process has been put into practice. I'll probably write something that criticizes the DG for being slow to recognize resistance by trade unions, despite planned conferences in 2008 and 2009 for US-EU labor relations harmonization. I like how this blog has devolved into a space for me to expound upon my classes... I suppose if you are in colloquia from sunup to sundown, (this 30-minute break notwithstanding) your focus tends to gravitate towards that area of your life.

I'm here in the EU studies center at ULB-Solbosch. It's about a 25 minute walk from the dorms, unfortunately, but the cool thing is that the center is surrounded by the Japanese, Kuwaiti and Saudi Arabian embassies. Every time we walk by, the return trip is accompanied by some angry-looking Green Beret type guys from the Saudi compound. Americans are so popular!

I've really written a lot recently, in part because this is pretty much my only connection to the outside world. Nobody ever gets on Skype (hello family?!) so besides Facebook and email, it's pretty slim pickings. I talked/briefly typed to Wyatt yesterday, but the Internet in my room only sends packets every 30 seconds or so. Usually my connection has sent around 100,000 packets and received maybe 1500. Oh well. Sorry dude!

If you want to talk to me for real, I am usually online starting at around 7pm (US East 1pm). So, if you have an afternoon to kill, me donnez un appel!

Again, apologies for the picturelessness. This is, after all, only my 3rd day of classes. Wait til the weekend!

Be encouraged! Heb 4:15-16
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

I've been convicted by my shortcomings in the past few weeks, but not a shameful conviction. I'm really coming back to these verses just because they are exactly what I need to hear: that my personal history is not some stone edifice, but something that Jesus has himself comprehended in His life as a human and is capable of washing clean. That's where confidence in Christ stems from: That's why we can hold fast to grace and mercy. I won't lie: This experience has been somewhat trying. But that's the only way you learn, both in academics and in spirituality. Encouragement is everywhere I turn.

Anyway I'll probably write more later. It will be awesome to read all of this after I'm back home--in a way, this blog is as equally important to me as it is to those keeping up with my adventures. Like my friend Lara from High School, who frequently checks up on posts from years and years ago, I expect to reference these events with fondness.

Have a beautiful day, and good morning! (6:40am east coast)

Ian

1 comment:

It's a Turkish Delight on a Moonlit Night said...

Oh dear. I was reading your comments regarding Northwest Airlines and I am a little concerned! I am pretty much flying the same way you are except I am leaving from Charlotte! Oh Gawd. Anyways, I hope that you are having fun in Benelux and what not and are having a good week!